I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), so you can get right to the point and decide if they’re for you (or not). Cheers!
- 2014 Dry Creek Vineyard The Mariner Meritage (Dry Creek Valley): Both classy and, one could argue, now classic in a Fitz Henry Lane painting kind of way. $40 A-
- 2016 Hess Collection Panthera Chardonnay (Russian River Valley): A promising start, for sure, though still needs to rise above the inevitable cougar-juice cheap shots that are headed its way. $41 B+
- 2016 Dutton-Goldfield Freestone Hill Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley): A stunning still-life in earth, spice, and dark fruits; give it 8 years, then stand back… $72 A
- 2017 Tasca d’Almerita Tascante ‘Buonora’ Carricante Etna Bianco (Sicily): We now present to you the fresher side of Sicily’s best white grape… ok, Sicily’s best grape, period. $24 B+
- 2017 Poderi dal Nespoli Campodora Secco (Albana di Romagna): Your daily does of rich, heady apricot goodness. $NA B+
- 2015 Fattoria Nicolucci ‘Predappio di Predappio Vigna del Generale’ Rosso Riserva (Emilia-Romagna): This General is both powerful and elegant, the kind that you’d likely follow anywhere. $NA A-
- 2013 Piccolo-Brunelli ‘Cesco 1938’ Romagna Sangiovese Predappio
(Emilia-Romagna): Sporting those appealing salt-and-pepper temple streaks, silver-fox style. $NA A-
- 2016 Domaine Ostertag Pinot Noir ‘Les Jardins’ (Alsace): The gardens are full of svelte folks making almost embarrassingly finky dance moves. $35 B
- 2016 Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (Mosel): Apple, pear, lemon, and, well, just a bunch of sunshine and happiness. $26 B+
- 2017 Odfjell ‘Orzada’ Carignan (Maule Valley): Dark, handsome, and mysterious, and making seductive eyes at you from across the room. $23 B+