I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), so you can get right to the point and decide if they’re for you (or not). Cheers!
- NV Gorghi Tondi ‘Palmares’ Grillo Spumante Brut (Sicily): Citrus, green apple & herbs dancing to Kool & the Gang’s “Fresh”. $14 B+
- 2018 Gorghi Tondi ‘Gilletto’ Grillo (Sicily): A cornucopia of potential bang for the buck, with pear, wildflowers, lemon peel, saline, almonds, and a crisp, to-the-point attitude. $NA B+
- 2018 Baglio di Pianetto ‘Murriali’ Monreale (Sicily): Isolia dressed up in crowd-pleasing, delicious, citrus-laced colors. $NA B
- 2018 Baglio di Pianetto ‘Timeo’ Grillo (Sicily): Tropical, perfumed headiness, anchored down to earth with a strong line of linear freshness. $NA B+
- 2015 Baglio di Pianetto Ra’is Moscato di Noto (Sicily): Sultanas, white flowers, dried citrus, exotic fruits and… wait, I don’t have to spit this out, do I?? $NA A-
- 2016 Baglio di Pianetto ‘Ramione’ Merlot – Nero d’Avola (Sicily): A red with juicy, fresh, round, spicy, and herbal Yin/Yang balance. $18 B+
- 2013 Villa Trasqua Trasgaia Rosso (Tuscany): Striking an admirably good balance between Tuscan freshness and Bordeaux depth. $40 A-
- 2018 Weingut Fritz Allendorf Save Water Drink Riesling Dry (Rheingau): Like a lime-colored, almost picture-perfect postcard of what makes the Rheingau so delicious. $18 B
- 2018 Troon Vineyard Cuvee Pyrenees (Applegate Valley): Pepper, cloves, tobacco leaf, dark red fruits, & juiciness for daaaaaaaayyyyssss. $65 A-
- 2018 Gary Farrell Russian River Selection Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley): Bergamont, pomegranate, black cherry, raspberry, cedar, and a knowing wink & a nod to its own excellence. $48 A-