I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2013 Keush Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut (Vayots Dzor): Buttery biscuit rich; crispy apple fresh. $31 A-
- 2019 Franz Gojer Glogglhof ‘Kerner Karneid’ (Alto Adige): So flinty and delightful that you’ll drink enough to *really* not be able to pronounce it. $30 A-
- 2016 Perinet ‘1194’ (Priorat): Exactly the kind of red that we want to pretend we hate while secretly wishing that we could afford. My girlfriend’s take: “Like seeing a hooded villain in a dark enchanted forest.” $140 A
- 2016 Fetzer Shaly Loam Gewürztraminer (Monterey County): Nearly as sweet and perky as key lime pie; nearly as hard to resist, too. $11 B
- 2019 Merry Edwards Winery Sauvignon Blanc (Russian River Valley): Explosively aromatic, richly rounded, jubilantly expressive. $45 A-
- 2019 Merry Edwards Olivet Lane Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley): A tad candied on the nose; but who cares when it has THAT much deliciousness packed in there?!? $72 A-
- 2019 Tongue Dancer Pratt Vineyard Chardonnay (Russian River Valley): Simply put, superb. Checks off every box on the Chardonnay list from racy lemony acidity, to yellow apples & apricots, to blossoms & peaches, to Key lime & pears… They should be dancing. This is their best release yet. $42 A
- 2020 Raeburn Rosé (Russian River Valley): Watermelons and roses, just in time for Summer outdoor action. $20 B+
- 2016 Rodney Strong ‘Knotty Vines’ Red Blend (California): Spirited & delicious palate surfing in black & blue plum and vanilla waves. $14 B
- 2020 Stinson Vineyards Rosé of Tannat (Virginia): A wily beast thoroughly tamed into friendly, vivacious just-ripe cherries. $23 B+