I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), so you can get right to the point and decide if they’re for you (or not). Cheers!
- 2017 Cantine Russo Mon Pit Metodo Classico Blanc De Blancs Brut (Sicily): Not overt, but carrying the burden of lovely litheness with floral, mineral aplomb. $27 B+
- 2020 Neri Contrada Arrigo Etna Bianco (Sicily): Gorgeous window-like transparency of wilod herbs & fresh, crisp apple fruit. $NA A-
- 2020 Planeta Etna Bianco (Sicily): An intricate, moving love story starring fennel and white peach. $34 A-
- 2020 Azienda Agricola Raciti Rupestre Etna Bianco (Sicily): An [expletive] gorgeous concoction of piercingly fresh lemon fruit, sea salt, and herbal perfume. $NA A-
- 2020 Azienda Agricola Tornatore ‘Zottorinotto’ Etna Bianco (Sicily): Etna white showcasing its elegant, serious, and austere side. $NA A-
- 2021 Graci Etna Rosato (Sicily): Threading the needle between robust, just-ripe cherry fruit and electric-filled palate pizazz. $24 B+
- 2021 I Vigneri I Custodi delle Vigne dell’Etna ‘Alnus’ Etna Rosato (Sicily): Expressive in dark hue, expressive in floral tone, expressive in salty texture. $35 B+
- 2019 Zumbo Ciuri Ciuri Etna Rosato (Sicily): Picture a rosé, but sporting a biker’s neck tattoo. $NA B+
- 2017 Favole Siciliane Etna Spumante 69/70 (Sicily): Peach scones that have been around the block and have definitely learned a thing or two along the way. $NA A-
- 2020 Maugeri ‘Contrada Volpare’ Etna Rosato (Sicily): Never once for a split second losing its intense focus and precision while offering up elegant helpings of red berry goodness. $NA A-