I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2015 Ravenswood Winery Angeli Carignan (Sonoma County): High-toned, perfumed, and about as large-and-in-charge as Carignan can possibly get. $42 B+
- 2016 Turley Wine Cellars Hayne Vineyard Petite Sirah (Napa Valley): When the Valley puts on its best Mountain Man impersonation, & it’s a good one. $75 A-
- 2017 St. Amant Winery Alicante Bouschet (Lodi): Linear, brambly, and sporting ample florals that belie the OOMPH! your mouth is about to receive. $21 B+
- 2016 Hartford Family Winery Hartford Dina’s Vineyard Zinfandel (Russian River Valley): For all of its sexy polish, there’s no denying it’s a wild child deep at heart. $60 A-
- 2015 La Pandolfa ‘Pandolfo’ Romagna Sangiovese Superiore Riserva (Emilia-Romagna): Smokes tobacco. Also smokes oragne peel, herbs, and if it could, it would smoke mineral rocks, too. $NA B+
- 2016 La Pandolfa ‘Godenza’ (Romagna Sangiovese Predappio): Dark cherries that have a firm grip on their tobacco pipe, as well as on your gums. $NA B+
- 2016 Domaine Brusset ‘Les Travers’ (Cairanne): A hipster’s paradise of black pepper, low abv, and floral vibrancy. $17 B+
- 2017 Brotte ‘Les Eglantiers’ Rosé (Tavel): So in touch with both its masculine and feminine sides, it might as well be called Tiresias… $NA B+
- 2016 Brotte ‘La Marasque’ (Gigondas): Dark blue sexiness, about as far as the eye [tongue?] can see. $23 B+
- 2015 Brotte ‘Bouvencourt’ (Vacqueyras): Brought to you by the letter “L” – for Leathery, Lithe, Long, and Lovely. $NA B+