I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- NV Taylor Fladgate 325th Anniversary Reserve Tawny Port (Portugal): Going totally, sweetly nuts for sweet caramel and nuts. $50 A-
- 2015 Escalada do Sil (Valdeorras): A bit like a Cru Beaujolais speaking with a heavy, sultry Spanish accent. $40 A-
- 2016 Weingut Dr. Nagler Rudesheimer Bischofsberg Riesling Kabinett Feinherb (Rheingau): Quince missile homing in on the nearest salty food. $20 B+
- 2016 Dutton-Goldfield Azaya Ranch Vineyard Pinot Noir (Petaluma Gap): Cinnamon-topped raspberry-and-black-cherry cookies. $62 A-
- 2015 Cline Cellars Ancient Vines Zinfandel (Contra Costa County): About as much spice – oak and otherwise – as you can reasonably handle. $15 B
- 2014 Bonterra Vineyards The Butler Single Vineyard Cuvee (Mendocino): Grippy and gritty, then settles in and proceeds to get very, very generous. $55 A-
- 2016 Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Vigne Vecchie (Barbera d’Asti): Cloves and blackberries, neatly arranged and fresh as the morning dew. $NA B+
- 2016 Michele Chiarlo ‘Le Orme 16 Mesi’ (Barbera d’Asti): Kind of like sinking your teeth right into a perfectly ripe red plum. $NA B+
- 2016 Il Fachetto Bricco Paradiso (Barbera d’Asti Superiore): And you thought that Barbera wasn’t meant for the steakhouse, you silly boy. $41 A-
- 2016 Bersano Cremosina (Barbera d’Asti Superiore): Leather, licorice, and a love of perky red fruits. $NA B+
2 thoughts on “Wine Reviews: Weekly Mini Round-Up For January 21, 2019”
“A bit like a Cru Beaujolais speaking with a heavy, sultry Spanish accent”??! I need meet this wine ASAP!! :)
You could do a lot worse, that’s for sure. :-)
Comments are closed.