I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2015 Frank Family Vineyards Zinfandel (Napa Valley): Jammy, spicy, and maybe needs a personal trainer to take care of that soft-in-the-middle thing it has going on. $38 B+
- 2015 Frank Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley): Dark, potent, deliciously evil spells are being cast, and I’m actually totally okay with that. $54 A-
- 2014 Broadside Margarita Vineyards Merlot (Paso Robles): Won’t wow you with its penchant for simplicity, but what’s there is as juicy and meaty as one could reasonably hope. $18 B
- 2016 Tongue Dancer Bacigalupi Vineyard Chardonnay (Russian River Valley): Stellar fruit, capable hands, killer packaging… fifty clams well-spent, especially if you like your Chard messages to be powerful but understated. $50 A-
- 2016 Tongue Dancer Pinot de Ville Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast): There’s a sexy-ass red car on the label; annnnnd there’s a sexy-ass red wine in the bottle. $65 A-
- 2016 Baker & Brain Paragon Vineyard Grüner Veltliner (Edna Valley): It’s bigger, and bustier than your normal GV, but yeah, someone with a brain for wine clearly baked this one up for us. $28 B+
- 2010 Bodegas Carlos Serres Rioja Gran Reserva (Rioja):What. The. Actual. F*CK?!?? Spicy vibrancy that amounts to a downright incredible bargain. $25 A-
- 2015 Marco Felluga Russiz Superiore Cabernet Franc Collio (Friuli-Venezia Giulia): Refreshing, spicy, and tart red fruits… someone needs to get some pasta bolognese up in here, stat! $30 B+
- NV Lucien Albrecht Cremant d’Alsace Brut (Alsace): Puttin’ the creamy in Cremant. Also putting the delicious in Cremant. Ok, that doesn’t work… anyway, shut the hell up, you know what I meant! $20 B+
- 2013 Odfjell Aliara (Central Valley): As silky smooth as a ship’s brand new sail, and as alluring as, well, pick your favorite maritime voyage imagery. $40 A-