I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2015 Scheid Vineyards Hames Valley Vineyard Petite Sirah (Monterey): Burly and beautiful, spicy and seductive; sorry Haters, but you totally lose this round. $38 A-
- 2016 Scheid Vineyards Doctor’s Vineyard Pinot Noir (Santa Lucia Highlands): A spirited composition, ending on a minor key that won’t fully resolve for several more years. $75 A
- 2016 Scheid Vineyards Escolle Road Vineyard Chardonnay (Santa Lucia Highlands): Tropical, tasty, and un-apologetically bold about it at nearly every step. $45 A-
- 2016 Dutton Estate Winery Karmen Isabella – Dutton Ranch Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley): its richness will be divisive, but sometimes a good argument is well worth having. $46 A-
- 2016 Edna Valley Vineyard Winemaker Series Sauvignon Blanc (Edna Valley): Some decidedly, deliciously fanceé stuff is being strutted here. $30 B+
- 2013 RdV Vineyards Rendezvous (Virginia): A lot closer to Bordeaux than the map’s nearly 4000 miles would otherwise insinuate. $80 A-
- 2015 Reva Barbera d’Alba Superiore (Piedmont): Barbera brought to you by the letter ‘B’ – Big, Bold, and Bombastic, in this case. $NA B+
- 2015 Senda Verde Mencia (Bierzo): Rustic, peppery, and vivacious; the latter sometimes getting it in a little bit of trouble for the occasional acerbic outburst. $12 B-
- 2017 Dr. H. Thanisch Bernkasteller Badstube Riesling Kabinett (Mosel): Lemon-dropping the mic with its sick-tight citric tastiness. $25 B+
- 2015 Villa Maria Single Vineyard Taylors Pass Pinot Noir (Marlborough): The spices and red berries are great company; the wood might be overstaying its welcome a little bit. $45 B+