I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2015 Brotte Domaine Barville Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Rhone): Exactly what you signed up for – black cherries and earthy funk – only without having to pay over fifty bucks. $37 A-
- 2015 Les Dauphins Cotes du Rhone Villages (Cotes du Rhone Villages): Bright, pretty, peppery and capable; just don’t expect much more than delight and you’ll be fine. $14 B
- 2014 Marco Felluga Molamatta Collio Bianco (Friuli-Venezia Giulia): Fresh, nutty, tangy, and food-friendly; I think I might be in love. Seriously. $24 B+
- 1991 Caves Sao Joao Quinta do Poco do Lobo Arinto (Beira): Everything about this is completely crazy, in all of the better senses of the word. $55 A-
- 2015 Trinity Hill Black Label Syrah (Gimblett Gravels): You’ll bitch about this being on the lighter side, then you’ll pour yourself several more glasses of it. $30 A-
- 2016 Tongue Dancer Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast): Juuuuuuust the right mix of sultry and energetic to get most of your own juices flowing. $49 A-
- 2015 Stewart Cellars ‘Tartan’ Red Blend (Napa Valley): “This wine is so self indulgent.” [ Proceeds to finish the entire bottle on his own ]. $50 A-
- 2016 Heitz Cellar Chardonnay (Napa Valley): How in the f*ck are they not selling this for over $50? Shhhh! Don’t tell them!!! $26 A-
- 2014 Chateau Montelena “The Montelena Estate” Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley): Pretty much everything that’s right about Napa, including its mystique, in bottled form. $160 A
- 2015 Cowhorn Vineyard “Moonraker” (Applegate Valley): Gritty, grippy, brambly, linear, floral Grenache/Syrah/Tempranillo blend that’s the wine fun equivalent of eating really good spicy food. $55 B+