I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2017 Tenuta Masselina ‘Masselina Albana’ (Romagna Albana): Whie peach, white blossom, and a penchant for pairing with fine cheeses. $NA B+
- 2013 Tenuta Masselina Sangiovese di Romagna Riserva (Emilia-Romagna): Making bramble and tobacco seem fresh, elegant, and – above all – full of potential. $NA A-
- 2016 Tre Monti ‘Thea’ Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore Riserva (Emilia-Romagna): Just like a laser – taught, linear, and focused. $29 B+
- 2016 Tenuta St Lucia Taibo Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore (Emilia-Romagna): Brighter as a valedictorian, tasty as a bushel of fresh cherries. $NA B+
- 2015 Tenuta del Gelso Braschi ‘Monte Sasso’ San Vicino Sangiovese Romagna (Emilia-Romagna): A pit of dark, deep fruity depths, ringed with rustic, earthy edges at the precipice. $NA B+
- 2016 Pedroncelli Pedroni-Bushnell Vineyard Zinfandel (Dry Creek Valley): A pendulum swinging between deep black berries and red currants, with big, bold swings. $24 B+
- 2017 Robert Biale Vineyards R.W. Moore Vineyard Zinfandel (Coombsville): From soils like the surface of the moon come dense, dusty, dark fruitiness that’s out of this world. $70 A-
- 2016 Rodney Strong Estate ‘Old Vines’ Zinfandel (Northern Sonoma): Herbs, cedar, cocoa, and juicy plums takes you on a wild ride, then share a cigar with you when it’s over. $25 B+
- 2015 Tres Sabores Rutherford Perspective Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley): Singing Napa’s favorite tune, and the performance is pretty much pitch-perfect. Also, there’s more pencil lead here than in a grade school classroom trashcan. $124 A
- NV Bodega Amalaya Brut Nature (Cafayate): Flowers and blossoms to spare, with sides of apple slices and brioche. $12 B