I taste a bunch-o-wine (technical term for more than most people). So each week, I share some of my wine reviews (mostly from samples) and tasting notes in a “mini-review” format.
They are meant to be quirky, fun, and (mostly) easily-digestible reviews of (mostly) currently available wines (click here for the skinny on how to read them), and are presented links to help you find them, so that you can try them out for yourself. Cheers!
- 2014 Lumos Temperance Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir (Eola-Amity Hills): Grippy, earthy, spicy, and clearly crafted by talented hands. $18 B+
- 2015 Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards Winemaker’s Reserve Pinot Noir (Umpqua Valley): Pretty as a prayer book; pithy, long, and academically this one has textbook consistency. $42 A-
- 2016 Del Rio Vineyards Pinot Gris (Rogue Valley): Round without being flabby, pretty without being prissy, sharp without being biting, good without being pricey. $16 B+
- 2015 Del Rio Vineyards Syrah (Rogue Valley): This rogue is dashing, dark, handsome, and wearing a fair amount of designer leather clothing. $30 B+
- 2015 Wooldridge Creek Tempranillo (Applegate Valley): from a warm vintage comes warm tobacco spices and a warming sensation generally all over your body. $35 B+
- 2013 Cavit Altemasi Metodo Classico Brut Trento (Trentino-Alto Adige): Drawing fine border lines, mostly between citric verve and a sense of richness. $27 B+
- 2013 Enrico Serafino Brut (Alta Langa): Zesty apple and citrus neighbors getting along splendidly, but they definitely like their hedges abd fences just a bit round. $26 B+
- 2012 Alessandro Rivetto Lazzarito Barolo (Piedmont): Vibrant, earthy, lithe, complex, and currently only in its embryonic stage of development. $90 A
- 2016 M. Chapoutier Domaine de Bila-Haut ‘Occultum Lapidem’ (Cotes du Roussillon Villages): It’s the cult of meaty, leathery, herbal, dark, structured expression. Seriously, apparently there totally is one… $30
- 2016 Covenant Wines ‘Zahav’ Late Harvest Botrytis Chardonnay (Sonoma Mountain): Mandarin orange candy that’s bordering on heavenly. $30 B+