Yes, I am actually going there.
No, I don’t expect everyone to like it, which is why I am asking you what you think about it. Here’s the skinny:
What It Is
- A grade I would give any wine reviewed on 1WineDude.com (and on the mini-wine review twitter feed).
- The grade would follow the ‘report card’ format: highest compliment is an “A+” and lowest is an “F” (maybe an “F-“ if the wine really, really, really sucks donkey bong).
What It Ain’t
- It is NOT a numerical rating system (we know where I stand on that stuff, right?). For those of you who like to ‘post scan’ and then comment: Please do NOT comment on how I am a sellout because I’m giving a wine a number. Because I’m not giving it a number. Actually, why am I writing that since you post-scanners aren’t reading it. Whatever.
- It does NOT mean a change to how I cover wines on the blog. Same approach (detailed coverage, a story about and behind the wine, not just a tasting impression), just add the grade to the end of it.
Why The F— I Am Doing This
- I know that there are many wine-lovin’ people out there who probably don’t take a lot of stock in a numerical score, but still want a quick way to take it all in when it comes to a wine’s value for money, it’s overall sensory impressions, it’s raison de’tre (is that raisin de’tre for Amarone? sorry, couldn’t help myself). I’m just not sure if those folks are reading this blog. Hence the poll below.
Feel free to give me your thoughts on this, and comment away if you love it or hate it. I’m a big boy – I can take it.