Archive for February, 2015
Look, ma, I’m in Tokaj!
We kick off the second half of my Tokaj Furmint adventures this week with a visit to Basilicus Winery, an interesting endeavor that I think qualifies as an “urban” winery in Tokaj terms.
They compliment their tiny production of high-quality Furmint with services that include gastronomy tours and oenophile-centric events, encompassing local vinegar and food as well as wine.
I had a particularly fun time touring their source vineyards (and pretending to make wine barrels), as you’ll see in a few moments.
Furmint Adventures Episode 7: Basilicus Winery
- 11 Duboeuf Morgon Jean Descombes (Beaujolais): “He was gentle as a night wind… as no lover had been beeeeefooooooooreeeee……..” $19 B+ >>find this wine<<
- 93 Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos (Tokaj-Hegyalja): Do mortals deserve slices of heaven? Doesn’t mean we should turn them down… $200 A >>find this wine<<
- 12 Grgich Hills Estate Grown Chardonnay (Napa Valley): Melon rock band, with shades of back-country lemony twang to their riffs. $42 B+ >>find this wine<<
- 07 Three Sticks Durell Vineyard Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast): 1st impressions would say burly; but 1st impressions aren’t always right. $56 A- >>find this wine<<
- 07 Ferrari Perle (Trento): Apple bread & awesomeness, with a take-no-prisoners attitude and a preference for not being disturbed yet. $35 A- >>find this wine<<
- 13 Hearthstone Estate Roussanne (Paso Robles): Cream, toast, honeycomb cereal, melons; a time warp back to grade school breakfast! $28 B+ >>find this wine<<
- 12 Faust Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley): The devil is in the details, and thankfully there’s no shortage of details available here. $50 A- >>find this wine<<
- 11 Maldonado Parr Vineyard Chardonnay (Sonoma County): There’s just enough lemony twang in this richly orchestrated performance. $32 B+ >>find this wine<<
- 11 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (Valpolicella): For those who take their coffee, tea, meat, disposition, & life dark. $85 A- >>find this wine<<
- NV Champagne Ayala Brut Rose Majeur (Champagne): Upscale brunch, in an upscale location, with a setting that’s refined & quiet. $70 A- >>find this wine<<
Get your inner Somm on!
Yo lovebirds (and those who recently dumped people and hate lovebirds at the moment)!
My latest piece for Fix.com is now available; in this round, their inimitable graphics team has put some stellar visuals to the tune of my words explaining the Whys behind the now-ubiquitous “proper”step-by-step procedure for tasting fine wines.
I’d advise a gander at the article (and the graphics, embedded below after the jump), not out of snobbery, but out of a desire to get the most enjoyment out of your next glass (and to garner some wine-tasting-related trivia with which to annoy your friends).
Read the rest of this stuff »
Peeps! Here’s episode 6 of my Furmint adventures in Tokaj, in which I visit Sauska Winery, and give them grief over their green harvest practices. Ok, so I am sometimes not such a gracious guest. Oh, yeah – I also do a fan dance.
Fan dance, Sauska style
The wines are excellent, and the scenery typically gorgeous, so it’s just another day “at the office.”
Furmint Adventures Episode 6: Sauska Winery